12 is the Magic Number: 12 Thoughts for Your Workplace
Since today won't come around for another 100 years, I thought I'd honor its unique date with 12 thoughts to help better your workplace.
Today is 12/12/12. The number 12 holds a lot of historical significance. There are 12 tribes of Israel, 12 months in the Gregorian calendar, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 days of Christmas, and 12 original studio albums released by the Beatles (in the UK).
Since today won’t come around for another 100 years, I thought I’d honor its unique date with 12 thoughts to help better your workplace.
- Review your employee handbooks and other personnel policies (annually is preferred).
- If you don’t have policiesaddressingsocialmedia and the other roles technology plays in your workplace, draft one(and train your employees on them).
- Hold company-wide harassment training (least once every two years, if not every year).
- Make it a point to rid your workplace of bullies (even though there is no law against it).
- Even if your business is not a jurisdiction that bans sexual orientation discrimination, adopt a policy outlawing it anyway.
- Audit your wage and hour practices.
- Document all discipline and performance problems.
- Do not make promises to your employees that you cannot keep.
- Make hiring and firing decisions based on performance.
- Be more understanding of your employees’ family responsibilities outside of the office.
- Employ the golden rule — treat your employees as you would want to be treated.
- Have fun (but not too much fun).