September 1, 2014
The U.S. Department of Labor limits the hours that 14- and 15-year-olds can work. These teenagers can work:
- Up to three hours on a school day.
- Up to 18 hours in a school week.
- Up to eight hours on a non-school day.
- Up to 40 hours in a non-school week.
- Between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. from Labor Day to June.
- As late as 9 p.m. between June 1 and Labor Day.
Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, D.C, August 1998. Check with your state department of labor for more information.