RSS icon

Top Stories


Dear Workforce Who’s Paying Immigration Filing Fees

Companies are paying, in exchange for a contract with the employee.
February 14, 2001
Related Topics: Immigration, Dear Workforce

    How are other companiesin the high-tech field and beyond handling the payment of immigration filingfees for current employees with expired H1-Bs or those interested in obtaining aGreen Card?

-Allison K. 

ADear Allison: 

    As a rule, manycompanies are paying for most if not all of the fees associated with theiremployees' Green Card filings. 

    This is a good faith effortto show the company's commitment to the employee. In return, the companywill get the employee to sign a document stating that the employee will beresponsible to pay back the costs if the employees terminates employment within(generally) two years of the receipt of the Green Card. 

SOURCE: Mike Sweeny, T. Williams Consulting, Collegeville, PA. 

E-mailyour Dear Workforce questions toOnline Editor Todd Raphael at,along with your name, title, organization and location. Unless you stateotherwise, your identifying info may be used on and in Workforcemagazine. We can't guarantee we'll be able to answer every question.


 The information contained in this article is intended to provide useful information on the topic covered, but should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion. Also remember that state laws may differ from the federal law.

If you have any questions or concerns about, please email or call 312-676-9900.

The Workforce fax number is 312-676-9901.

Sign up for Dear Workforce e-newsletters!

Comments powered by Disqus