- Never retaliate against an employee for filing complaints concerningdiscrimination.
- Punishing employees for filing complaints or for cooperatingin an investigation of a complaint is illegal.
- Eliminate any illegal screening practices.
- Illegal discrimination can often occur when an organization’s policies oremployment testing have an unfair and negative impact on a protected class.
- Set the example for appropriate behavior.
- It’s important for HRmanagers to set the example for proper conduct in the workplace. Performingevery aspect of your job in a fair and impartial manner will continuouslyreinforce these sentiments.
- Never ignore inappropriate behavior.
- Take immediate action against anydiscriminatory conduct -- no matter how minor it may seem. By ignoring suchbehavior, you appear to be condoning it.
- Involve employees.
- Share the responsibility of maintaining adiscrimination-free workplace with employees. You can encourage theirinvolvement by being available to hear grievances.
SOURCE: Corpedia Training Technologies, a Mesa, Arizona-based company thatoffers computer-based training products in legal basics, management, personaland communication skills, and workplace safety.
Workforce, November 1999, Vol. 78, No. 11, p. 28 -- Subscribenow!