October 24, 2014
World at Work, a nonprofit industry organization that isthe former American Compensation Association, offers a few suggestions forchecking out salary survey data:
- Make sure the surveys you use match the correct labor market and job category. Don’t rely on job titles alone.
- How many sources are appropriate for your needs? Using a number of survey sources helps avoid any particular bias of a single source.
- Get management’s support for using survey data so that time and effort are not wasted.
- Assess why you want the survey data. That includes which jobs need to be listed and the appropriate labor markets, both geographically and by industry.
- Use reputable sources to find surveys. There are companies that specialize in cataloguing salary survey sources and maintaining information about them.
Workforce,January 2001, Vol 80, No 1, p. 88 SubscribeNow!