July 30, 2014
Here are 12 explanations that employees might say when they’re caught sleeping at their desks:
"They told me at the blood bank this might happen."
- "This is just a 15-minute power nap like they raved about in that time management course you sent me to."
- "Whew! Guess I left the top off the liquid paper. You probably got here just in time."
- "This is in exchange for the six hours last night when I dreamed about work."
- "It’s okay ... I’m still billing the client."
- "I wasn’t sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement."
- "I was testing my keyboard for drool resistance."
- "I was doing a yoga exercise to relieve work-related stress."
- "Rats! Why did you interrupt me? I almost had figured out a solution to our biggest company problem."
- "The coffee machine’s broken."
- "Someone must have put decaf in the wrong pot."
Workforce, January 1999, Vol. 78, No. 1, p. 26.