he National Business Employment Weekly Jobs Rated Almanac ranks more than 250 blue- and white-collar jobs in various categories. One category is the amount of stress caused by a position. According to the reference guide, the 10 most stressful jobs are:
1. U.S. President (Russia. China. Afghanistan. Monica. Hillary.)
2. Firefighter (Smoke, heat, fire—oh my!)
3. Senior Corporate Executive (Somebody has to worry about how much all those HR programs cost.)
4. Indy-class race-car driver (Imagine driving 250 mph with thousands of people screaming for you.)
5. Taxi driver (Imagine driving 250 mph with thousands of people screaming at you.)
6. Surgeon (One slip of the hand ... )
7. Astronaut (When there’s no gravity, things are always more stressful.)
8. Police officer (Have you ever seen an episode of "Cops"? ’Nuff said.)
9. NFL football player (We hear playing for the Dallas Cowboys is especially stressful.)
10. Air-traffic controller (Keeping track of the UFOs is the hardest part.)
SOURCE: National Business Employment Weekly Jobs Rated Almanac by Les Krantz. John Wiley & Sons, March 1995.
Workforce, November 1998, Vol. 77, No. 11, p. 25.