August 25, 2014
The following are five business practices that can turn your workplace into a learning environment:
- Create an obsession with training and learning in your organization—make learning and training part of everybody's job and make time available for these activities.
- Fill the workplace with learning resources in every medium possible (print, video, audio, CD interactive, intranet, etc.) and give employees unfettered access to those resources; support outside learning opportunities such as degree and certificate programs.
- Encourage employees to set concrete learning goals with deadlines, but then meet those goals and deadlines in their own way and at their own pace.
- Allow people to take assignments in diverse skill areas and move around the organization in order to build their knowledge.
- Create a free market for mentoring: Teach everybody how to be a mentor and how to get a mentor, and then let them choose each other as they wish.
Source: Bruce Tulgan, RainmakerThinking, Inc.