These five strategies, called the SERVE model, include the basic interpersonal competencies that are traditionally part of customer service, along with competencies that require providers to take a broader perspective of their roles.
The five strategies of the SERVE model are:
- S ee the big picture and how customer service fits into it.
- E stablish an authentic human connection with each customer.
- R ender timely, accurate and thorough service.
- V alue and respond to unique customer needs.
- E xtend a hand to repair and strengthen relationships with customers who are upset or angry.
These strategies give service professionals more discretion in evaluating and decision making; focusing them on a higher standard of service and allowing them to reap customer information that is valuable to the organization.
SOURCE: AchieveGlobal, Tampa, FL, October 1999.