The American Pet Products Manufacturers Association 2011-12 National Pet Owners Survey relates these facts about U.S. pet owners:
• In 2010, U.S. pet owners spent $48.35 billion on their pets; the estimate for 2011 is $50.84 billion.
The cost of veterinary care in the United States for 2011 is estimated at $14.1 billion.
• 62 percent of American households own a pet, which equates to 72.9 million homes.
• 38.2 million households have a cat, and the total number of owned cats is 93.6 million.
• 46.3 million households have a dog, and the total number of owned dogs is 78.6 million.
• On average, dog owners spend $225 and cat owners spend $203 annually on routine veterinary visits.
Workforce Management Online, July 2011 -- Register Now!