July 3, 2015
Employee loyalty has gone the way of the manual typewriter. Today s frenzied labor market is producing more job-hoppers than ever. These restless employees are often encouraged to leave by jobs where there s little chance to succeed. Use these tips to provide an atmosphere of success that will enhance your retention package.
- Start employees off on the right foot with a strong orientation program that concentrates on what they ll be doing the first six months. Don t overwhelm them with information that has nothing to do with what they will initially be doing.
- Let new employees determine how much they can do. It might be more than you think they can handle, but they might surprise you and perform beyond expectations.
- Improve the quality of your managers by giving them formal training as soon as they are promoted. Don t be afraid of spending money on training--only to see them leave. Instead, think of what could happen if you spend no money on training--and they stay.
- Train select employees on how to interview job candidates. Not only is this an additional job skill, but it lets employees participate as a member of an interview team and provide valuable feedback.
- Provide ongoing career planning for employees. They often leave their jobs because they feel they re at a dead end.