- Encourage families to spend a lot of time on pretransfer preparation of their children.
- Try to connect families who have been in the location with new ones relocating.
- Involve the children in the planning phase.
- Provide families with computers and access to e-mail and the Internet so they can stay in touch with their families and friends.
- Be on the phone frequently with the expatriate and the spouse.
- Be sure that community networks are available if a family has trouble—make that suggestion at the outset before any problems arise.
- Critical to reentry to their society, children need to identify with their own cultural and national identity.
Personnel Journal, March 1996, Vol. 75, No. 3, p. 84.