July 29, 2015
If you’re seriously considering an MBA program, there are myriad factors to consider. Here’s quick checklist of issues to discuss with your business and HR colleagues, academicians, your close friends—and family.
- What are your long-term professional goals?
- Do you want to remain in the HR field?
- How could an MBA improve your professional standing in HR?
- Would an MBA increase your credibility with your current employer?
- Would your current employer support your academic endeavor? How?
- Which MBA programs seem to integrate HR into their business philosophies?
- Will the core business courses offer you knowledge that you currently don’t possess?
- Is the program accredited?
- Is the program respected by the business community?
- Is the program designed to encourage a team-based environment?
- Is the faculty’s expertise well rounded and aligned with today’s business needs?
- Has the academic institution established corporate partnerships?
- Will the program offer experiential learning?
- Is the cost of the MBA program affordable?
- Is the program designed for part-time students?
Workforce, May 1999, Vol. 78, No. 5, p. 82.