Dealing with Conflict
Companies who effectively deal with conflict:
· Value high levels of interaction.
· Tolerate—even welcome—conflict for the airing ofdifferences.
· Take a problem-solving approach to conflict.
· Process the feelings behind statements, as well as thecontent.
· Wait to proceed with a task until conflict is managedsatisfactorily.
· Realize that moderately high levels of well-managedconflict result in greater creativity and higher-quality solutions.
SOURCE: Steven H. Larson, "The Behavioral Side ofProductive Meetings," excerpted from the Workforce Classic Reprint Series "Successful Meetings,"April 1980.