Five Ways to Use KM
October 1, 1998
How HR can take advantage of the technology.
- Knowledge Sharing -- Organizations use intranets or online forums to exchange knowledge and expertise on an as-needed basis.
- Competency Management -- Provides tools to identify skills, knowledge and performance within an organization. Such a system lets an enterprise spot gaps and introduce appropriate training, compensation and recruiting programs based on current or future needs.
- Human Portfolio Tracking -- Lets managers and project teams find qualified individuals by searching personal Web sites on an intranet.
- Competitive Knowledge Management -- Software and tools that allow an organization to track knowledge and expertise outside the boundaries of the company, using the Internet and various search engines, extranets, databases and other technologies.
- Distance Learning -- Using an intranet or the Internet, it’s possible to educate and train employees on a wide range of subjects. A well-designed system can also provide high level knowledge on a wide array of subjects.
Workforce, October 1998, Vol. 77, No. 10, p. 86.