Shared Services - The Keys to Success
According to Watson Wyatt, here are the keys to success of shared services, extrapolated from several blue chip companies that have gone this route:
1. Develop a compelling vision and business case. You must understand what you're trying to accomplish and why. This will help shore up support from your organization.
2. Define your architecture and build a robust technology platform. Make sure you integrate the components of employee data management, knowledge base management, self-service employee access and "back-end" sourcing solutions into your services delivery architecture. Make sure your technology can handle the shared services--now and in the future.
3. Do the process work. Understand your core processes and redefine them to fit your new services delivery model.
4. Take an integrated approach. A shared services model will impact your organization in three areas: people, process and technology. The role of each must be addressed.
5. Manage and meet expectations. As with everything else in HR, you need to measure and communicate results. Keep a scorecard of progress.
SOURCE: "Shared Services in Human Resources," Watson Wyatt, 1999.