The Many Faces of e-HR
April 1, 2000
Here are some of the ways that human resources can benefit through electronic systems:
- Portals can create a single interface for accessing key data.
- Online recruiting can eliminate paperwork and speed the hiring process.
- Employee self-service can automate record-keeping.
- A Web-accessible knowledge base can reduce questions to the HR department or a call center.
- Electronic benefits enrollment lets employees sort through options faster, while reducing paperwork and questions for HR.
- Electronic payroll can cut costs and make data more easily accessible.
- Trading exchanges and e-marketplaces can reduce the cost of products and services.
- E-procurement can eliminate catalogs and manual processes that are expensive and slow.
- Electronic travel and expense reporting can crumple the paper glut and speed reimbursements to both employees and the company.
- Online retirement planning can help employees map out their future, while reducing questions and paperwork for HR.
- Online learning can slash travel costs and make training available anytime, anywhere.
- Competency management can help an organization identify strengths and weaknesses.
Workforce, April 2000, Vol. 79, No. 4, p. 46.