June 30, 2015
Be sure to ask these 16 questions before committing to a legal service:
- How many lawyers does your service have in its network?
- Are your networks nationwide or local?
- Does the plan use an open, closed or modified panel?
- How many years has the company been offering this service?
- What qualifications do the panel's attorneys have—including years in the field?
- Are the attorneys specialists or generalists?
- How much time is a participating attorney required to commit to the plan participants?
- Does your company operate the toll-free telephone line or does an outside company?
- Do employees have immediate access to an attorney round-the-clock or just during set hours?
- If an employee's situation requires an office visit, how flexible and quick is the scheduling?
- Can my company design a plan however it wants?
- What's the plan usage rate?
- Do your service's lawyers carry personal liability coverage, errors-and-omissions coverage and hold-
- harmless agreements?
- What services does your company provide?
- What services will it refuse to provide?
- How does your company's rates compare with other services—give me an example.
Personnel Journal, October 1996, Vol. 75, No. 10, p. 52.