There are a number of positive benefits to an employee review and there are number of disadvantages to not conducting routine reviews.
Advantages of reviews:
- They give the employee the opportunity to better understand expectations, standards and rules.
- They give the manager an opportunity to ‘get to know’ the employee better.
- They give the employee the opportunity to learn what behaviors and attitudes they need to improve or modify.
- They send a message to the employee that you care about their performance as well as them as a person.
- They can help you chart a better course for the future of the employee.
- They can help the manager identify weaknesses and strengths that may not have surfaced on a day by day basis.
Disadvantages of irregular or no reviews:
- They send a message that you are satisfied with performance, attitudes and behavior.
- They say to the employee they are not important enough for you to take the time for a review.
SOURCE: Tim Connor, Connor Resource Group, February 22, 1999.