March 4, 2015
A world-class orientation program:
- Has weighted and targeted goals and it meets each of them.
- Is given by a senior person.
- Is an ongoing process.
- Begins before the first day.
- Makes the first day a celebration.
- Involves the family and others in the process.
- Makes new employees productive on the first day.
- Isn’t boring, rushed or ineffective.
- Is global, multi-lingual and diverse. Have a one-size-fits-all strategy to allow for individual and local needs.
- Is available on the intranet and uses technology.
- Reduces turnover.
- Can be done remotely and during "off" periods.
- Is monitored, measured and rewarded. It also uses feedback to continuously improve.
Source: JohnSullivan, head and professor of the Human Resource Management College ofBusiness, San Francisco State University.