August 28, 2015
Here are some suggestions for mastering the art of networking.
- Choose your networking partners carefully. Step back and evaluate the worth of different people as part of your network.
- Go to the places that the people you wish to meet go to.
- Start giving before you need to receive.
- Always be courteous and considerate with those in your network.
- Do your homework, so that you don't waste the time of people in your network.
- Acknowledge others' contributions publicly-share the limelight.
- Don't burn your bridges.
- Don't whine, complain or gossip maliciously to people in your network
- Establish affiliations of mutual advantage.
- Find common ground.
- Be natural and don't oversell.
- Take time immediately to read any business card given to you.
- Later, note on the back of the business card when you met the person, and anything that you promised to do.