Texas Instruments teaches its employees seven steps they can use to determine whether a decision is ethical. The result forms a "quick test" and helps the employee see a decision more objectively-and ethically.
- Is the action legal?
- Does it comply with our values?
- "If you do it, will you feel bad?
- How will it look in the newspaper?
- If you know it's wrong, don't do it.
- If you're not sure, ask.
- Keep asking until you get an answer.
"If you think something's wrong, and you don't want to do it, go ask some questions. Ask your co-workers. Ask TI legal. Ask human resources. Call up the ethics office. Ask, ask, ask. Don't stand out there and feel like you have to carry all that pressure by yourself."
Personnel Journal, June 1995, Vol. 74, No. 6, p. 34.