July 30, 2015
Here are some tips when it comes to personnel files:
- Employees should be given notice about what will be maintained in their files.
- Employees should be given reasonable access to review their files.
- Allow employees to include a written explanation about an inconsistency or mistake in their files.
- Restrict access to only those who have a reason to learn of the file contents.
- Keep medical files separate from employment files.
SOURCE: Institute for Business & Professional Ethics, DePaul University, Illinois
Personnel Journal, July 1996, Vol. 75, No. 7, p. 93.