The Department of Labor will hold a free online webcast Friday, January 22, regarding the new requirements of the federal COBRA subsidy.
The two-hour webcast begins at 1 p.m. EST and includes officials from the Labor Department, the Department of the Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service. They are scheduled to discuss the new extension and notice requirements.
“If you are an employer trying to comply with federal COBRA regarding your health plan, or if you are a third-party administrator or a carrier with questions about the new law, this is your chance to hear from the federal regulators and have the opportunity to ask them questions,” said a Labor Department press release.
Late last year, Congress extended the COBRA premium eligibility period until February 28 and increased the maximum period for receiving the subsidy from nine months to 15 months. Eligible individuals pay 35 percent of their COBRA premiums, while the remaining 65 percent is repaid to the employer through a tax credit.