Sample Job Description HR Manager
Here are just some of the essential duties and responsibilities of a human resources manager.
Human Resources Manager
- Develops policy and directs and coordinates human resources activities, such as employment, compensation, labor relations, benefits, training, and employee services by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes wage and salary reports and data to determine competitive compensation plan.
- Writes directives advising department managers of Company policy regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation, and employee benefits.
- Consults legal counsel to ensure that policies comply with federal and state law.
- Develops and maintains a human resources system that meets top management information needs.
- Oversees the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
- Identifies legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance. Studies legislation, arbitration decisions, and collective bargaining contracts to assess industry trends.
- Writes and delivers presentations to corporate officers or government officials regarding human resources policies and practices.
- Recruits, interviews, tests, and selects employees to fill vacant positions.
- Plans and conducts new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward Company goals.
- Keeps records of benefits plans participation such as insurance and pension plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics for government reporting.
- Coordinates management training in interviewing, hiring, terminations,promotions, performance review, safety, and sexual harassment.
- Advises management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- Administers performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance,and equity within organization. Administers salary administration program to ensure compliance and equity within organization.
- Administers benefits programs such as life, health, and dental insurance,pension plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance.
- Investigates accidents and prepares reports for insurance carrier.Coordinates Safety Committee meetings and acts as Safety Director.
- Conducts wage surveys within labor market to determine competitive wage rate.
- Prepares budget of human resources operations.
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Prepares reports and recommends procedures to reduce absenteeism and turnover.
- Represents organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
- Contracts with outside suppliers to provide employee services, such as temporary employees, search firms, or relocation services.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Provides management direction and counseling. Supervises clerical assistant and temporary staffing as needed.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations maybe made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style.Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Mathematical Skills
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred.
- Physical Demands
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained here is intended to provide useful information onthe topic covered, but should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion.
Reprinted with permission from “Exhibit Books of PositionDescriptions,” Watson Wyatt Data Services. For more information, visit www.wwdssurveys.com or call (201) 843-1177 and ask for Customer Service.