May 27, 2016
Being a mentor doesn't necessarily mean a long-term, time-consuming commitment. Here are five easy ways to help someone at work improve their skills:
- Make a copy of a magazine article that you think they would learn from and find interesting. It doesn't have to be related to your business -- it could be about sports, business, politics, or entertainment.
- Share information about a professional seminar or workshop coming up.
- Have lunch with someone you don't normally see outside of work; you can give them advice on work and/or personal matters.
- Be a mock audience for a presentation or a reader for a report.
- Teach someone a software package they don't know. If you don't have time, just teach them some short-cuts you know in a software package they use.
SOURCE: 101 Ways to Have a Great Day @ Work," Stephanie Goddard Davidson, 1998.