May 26, 2015
Here are the six steps:
- Announce the closing early.
- Communicate with employees.
- Emphasize teamwork.
- Train and provide on-site services.
- Hire an outplacement consultant.
- Keep accurate employee records.
Closing a manufacturing facility requires teamwork between the corporate office, plant management and outside consultants. The closing affects many areas of the company. Good teamwork also fosters clear, ongoing communication with all areas.
Personnel Journal, April 1993, Vol. 72, No. 4, p. 70.