Steps that employers can take to prevent gender discrimination charges or address them once they have been made include:
• Establishing a clear, simply stated policy.
• Avoiding gender stereotypes, such as assuming a man is the family’s breadwinner.
• Training employees on avoiding gender discrimination at least annually.
• Establishing a complaint procedure that employees can use without fear of repercussions.
• Conducting pay audits to uncover and address unexplained pay disparities.
• Establishing good communications to explain employment decisions that could cause worker disgruntlement.
• Making a concerted effort to hire a diversified workforce.
• Acting promptly to correct any disparate treatment once a charge is made.
• Avoiding unlawful retaliation but not giving special treatment if the employee who has filed a complaint still is in the workforce.
Workforce Management Online, March 2011 -- Register Now!