September 1, 2015
No doubt you’ve said to yourself, "Now I’ve seen it all." But have you? here are a dozen examples to support the assertion that anything can happen in HR.
- We hired a consultant who later turned out to be a cult leader.
- Summer 1998: Relocated an entire department to another state. Winter 1999: Relocated the entire department back.
- An employee was hiding in the ceiling, spying on co-workers.
- An employee hit himself in the head with a stapler (and knocked himself out) to fake a robbery.
- A manager made his staff pay for an extra microwave oven so that he wouldn’t ever have to stand in line to heat his food.
- My boss was upset with an employee and slammed her breasts in her desk drawer.
- I conducted an exit interview with a parrot sitting on the employee’s head.
- The Secret Service came looking for an employee.
- I had to attend three wakes in one night for the family members of employees.
- Employees held a bicycle race in the halls.
- My boss was having an affair with my secretary.
- An employee refused to shower because he said his roommate was a cannibal and he feared that he would be eaten.
Workforce, June 1999, Vol. 78, No. 6, p. 46.