Charting a Course of Action
How GTE set out to be a worldwide telecom player.
HR Strategic Thrust 1: Talent
• Grow the talent pool.
• Invest in our people.
• Provide growth opportunities.
• Leverage diversity.
• Build an environment that fosters creativity and innovation.
HR Strategic Thrust 2: Leadership
• Invest in leadership growth.
• Define leadership competencies.
• Structure rewards to foster leadership behavior.
HR Strategic Thrust 3: Customer Service and Support
• Create an environment that supports employee engagement.
• Build service capability.
HR Strategic Thrust 4: Organizational Integration
• Leverage total GTE capabilities.
• Partner with our unions.
• Foster business unit teaming.
• Structure rewards to foster integration.
HR Strategic Thrust 5: HR Capability
• Invest in our own growth development.
• Organize to deliver excellent service.
• Enhance our technological capabilities.
Source: "Shaping Our Direction," GTE Human Resources, 1998.
Workforce, March 2000, Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 95.