IDear Workforce-I Any Stats on Educational Benefits
Have you seen any surveys dealing with tuition-reimbursement benefits?
A Dear Miriam:
Here are some results of a survey of 114 companies:
- 88% agreed that "educational benefit programs are a useful tool for retaining employees."
- 69% agreed that "employees receiving educational benefits should either stay at the organization for a minimum amount of time, or repay benefits if employment is terminated."
- 68% agreed that "employers are responsible for helping employees with educational expenses."
- 79% disagreed that "organizational resources would be better spent on other employee benefits."
- 67% disagreed that "few employees would be upset if educational benefit programs were eliminated."
Here's some more information:
No lack of interest: Only 8% of employers said the reason they didn't provide educational benefit programs was because of little or no employee interest. 31% said it was because of cost, and 23% because their organization was too new.
More popular in big companies: Large employers (2500 and over) were 2.2 times more likely to have educational benefit programs compared to small employers (less than 500 employees). Manufacturers were 5.58 times more likely to have the programs than service employers.
Employees are counting on it: Finally, when the companies asked if they agreed with the statement that "few employees would be upset if educational benefit programs were eliminated," 21% strongly disagreed, 36% disagreed, and 10% somewhat disagreed. Meanwhile, only 5% strongly agreed ,13% agreed, and 16% somewhat agreed.
Hope that helps.
SOURCE: "The Many Faces of Educational Benefits," International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Brookfield, WI, June 2000
E-mail your Dear Workforce questions to Online Editor Todd Raphael at firstname.lastname@example.org, along with your name, title, organization and location. Unless you state otherwise, your identifying info may be used on Workforce.com and in Workforce magazine. We can't guarantee we'll be able to answer every question.