Learn Six Ways to Steer Clear of Gangs
- Never assume your company is immune.
Gangs aren't lured only by high-tech equipment, and they're not just interested in selling drugs. Liquor, auto parts, clothing, even food are desired items. What's more, other employees often provide the perfect conduit for distributing illegal-and legal-contraband. Legitimate businesses owned by gangs include: restaurants, auto repair shops, pager outlets, clothing stores and day-care centers.
- Adopt tough screening procedures and conduct thorough background checks.
- Learn the signs and symbols that gangs use and educate employees.
- Stay in contact with local law enforcement agencies, and trade information with other companies.
- Take security seriously.
- Adopt a zero-tolerance approach.
Personnel Journal, February 1996, Vol. 75, No. 2, p. 48.