April 27, 2016
What's the nature of the contact with program participants (mail, phone, in person), especially with women who have high-risk pregnancies? How many lives does the program currently cover? How many women have participated in the program? Based on previous experience, what percentage of high-risk maternity patients is expected with the preterm risk appraisal? What are the qualifications of the staff assigned to the program? Are references available from organizations that have used the program? Based on experience, what return on investment has the program produced for its customers?
- How long has the program been operational?
- Will there be specific staff assigned to my company, or will the contacts vary?
- How will my employees contact the staff when needed? Is there a toll-free number?
- What's the nature of the reports generated?
- Is confidentiality guaranteed?
- How have requests for program modifications been handled in the past? What cost implications are there for modifications?
- Is there a tracking system to ensure quality control? Is it handled manually or is it an automated system? What data will the system produce?
- What are the program components?
- Is there an education component?
Review education materials based on the following:
- Check author credentials
- Check comprehensiveness of materials. The materials should cover early pregnancy through six weeks after birth
- Check last copyright to ensure that materials are current and up-to-date. If the materials are more than 5 years old, they aren't current
- Read materials before making a final selection and test-market them with pregnant employees to assure that they are user-friendly, as well as employer-friendly
- Reading level should be appropriate for intended employee base.
- Is there a risk-assessment feature?
- Is there a case-management component that includes a nurse consultant and assistance to the high-risk mother?
Physician Involvement and Benefits Management
- What's the nature and extent of the contact with physicians?
- What are some examples of benefits management?
Personnel Journal, October 1993, Vol. 72, No.10, p. 46.